Instant pot and pressure cooker healthy recipes are so convenient and full of flavor. Thanks to the technology incorporated into these cooking gadgets, we are able to retain more nutritional value of the ingredients we use in each and every recipe. This healthy Lentil Chicken soup recipe is a keeper. I prepare it once and use for lunch and even dinners during the week. Refrigerate this soup in several glass containers and heat up the amount you need when you are ready to partake in this flavorful meal.
This particular lentil recipe was inspired by the Lentils site where they create all recipes, from main dishes to desserts, using red, green, yellow lentils. Lentils are easy to cook, but so versatile when it comes to feeding your family and satisfying your cravings. This chicken lentil soup is easy to prepare and can be spread out for the entire week for your meals.
What Are Some Health Benefits of Lentil Chicken Soup?
I can rave about lentils and beans and their superior health benefits for any woman’s body. One of my most favorite lentils benefit is fiber. When we add soluble and non-soluble fiber food sources to our daily diet, we control our blood sugar levels, fortify our organism agains insulin resistance and provide satiety to the brain. That said, fiber is our friend and can be found aplenty in lentils. Eat green lentils, yellow lentils, red lentils. Each type of lentils boasts of fiber galore.
When we eat enough fiber in our daily diet, we take benefit of complex carbohydrates – that’s what lentils are. We avoid cravings and feel full longer.
For those of us who lack magnesium – eat lentils! Include lentils into your nutrient-packed salads, breakfast and lunch smoothies, and decadent dessert recipes. Cooking with lentils can change your life for the better.
Iron is another nutrient that can be found in lentils. Oxygen uses iron molecules to get around inside our body. Iron is one of the key elements in energy production and metabolism.
For those of us who are vegetarians, finding protein in plants and seeds is essential to the overall health. Lentils are rich in protein and can be used in lieu of meat in many recipes.
Recipe for the Best Instant Pot Lentil Chicken Soup
Keep in mind that this healthy Lentils Chicken soup recipe can be prepared either in an Instant Pot or in a Pressure cooker. Instant pot recipes are easy to modify when it comes to a pressure cooker.
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced – OPTIONAL
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano
- 3/4 cups (175 mL) split red lentils
- 1 (28 oz/796 mL) can diced tomatoes
- 6 cups (1.5 L) chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 limes, juiced – you can substitute them for lemons or juice option of 2 Tbsp
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) honey – I use MANUKA honey
- cilantro leaves, for garnish (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Press “sauté” button on Instant Pot and add olive oil. Once hot, add onion and garlic and cook until softened, 3-5 minutes.
- Add chicken stock and stir, scraping any browned bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Add chicken, jalapeno (optional), cumin, oregano, lentils, and tomatoes and stir to combine.
- Press cancel to stop the sauté function, seal the lid, then press the “soup” button. Cook for 30 minutes in an Instant Pot or for 15 minutes in Pressure Cooker. Once the timer has stopped, quick-release by flipping the release valve to “venting."
- Remove the chicken and shred it, then add it back to the soup with the lime juice and honey, stir to combine.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with cilantro leaves, if you love the fresh greens.
Instant pot healthy soup recipes are nutritious and can boost your metabolism to help burn fat. Adding rich in fiber lentils to your meals means you add essential vitamins and minerals and phytonutrients to your body to reduce internal inflammation that is a precursor for diseases. Eating well means eating delicious. This healthy Lentil Chicken soup is definitely one of the best alternatives to any packaged or frozen meal.
Those women who are going through menopause, this lentil chicken soup recipe is a given golden food. This recipe is well balanced with not only protein and carbohydrates. What matters to to a menopause diet is adding more plant nutrition and fiber. Try to incorporate this recipe if you are going through menopause to see results for yourself.
PIN for Your Delicious Dinners
When you prepare this soup once, you will fall in love with the simplicity of this nourishing meal. The aroma, the nutrient density – all is gathered in one place for the ultimate experience of your taste buds.