Sometimes we try different crafts and they come out stunningly beautiful. Simple and gorgeous, and very much suitable for a gift for someone we know, care and love. This Woven Sun Pendant Paper Craft Tutorial is one of the quick and easy crafts that can be done when we pressed for time for a gift.
With the Mother’s Day in the offing or someone’s birthday around the corner, you will need the simplest things to arrange this sun pendant and decorate the way you feel like. Here’s one of the samples of what you could make and present as a gift to the dear one in your life.
Woven Sun Pendant Paper Craft Tutorial
This woven sun looks really cool in real life. When you use thicker threads to weave your embroidery story, this paper craft becomes your true masterpiece. Handmade gifts are the ones we treasure the most, because they have a tiny part of the energy and the soul of the person who made it for us.
STEPS 1-4: Refer to the Tutorial Steps in Detail Below
You don’t need to have fancy ingredients for a sun pendant craft. Take a look what I used for the paper part – a discarded carton food packaging.
STEPS 5-8 Are All About Weaving: Details In Tutorial Below
This quick and easy craft is all about your imagination. Choose thick mouline threads of many colors. Or may be your occasion calls for a specific color, then weave the thread alternating the paper beams on the sun pendant.
STEPS 9-12 Are All About HOW-TO Secure &
Make the Sun Pendant Looking Neat
From the images below you see that you don’t need to be perfect or worry about the neatness of the woven threads. We will use a cozy felt fabric to cover our work. All the recipient of this woven sun pendant will see is the pretty side of your embroidery.
STEP 13: Making the Sun Pendant Looking Nice
As you see from this image, the back of your woven sun pendant will be neatly disguised.
STEP 14 Optional: Decorating Your Paper Craft With Metallics
Decorating your sun pendant paper craft with fabric paint like Metallics is totally optional. I think it brings up some joyful attitude and looks brighter this way.
The Final Look of Your Quick and Easy Craft Is Simply Gorgeous
Look at this woven sun pendant! It looks phenomenal and is suited for a gift for someone you care about.
Wear this beauty around your own neck, decorate your bedroom wall, or hand it out as a medal to anyone you feel deserves recognition!
- An empty cereal box or tissue box
- A compass (or something circular to draw around)
- An Exacto knife
- Pair of scissors
- A marker (your choice of color)
- Bits of string or yarn in various colors (Great to use crochet cotton or Mouline emroidery thread)
- A yarn needle (with blunt end)
- Length of ribbon
- Piece of felt
- Optional: Dimensional paint in gold like Metallics
- Self-healing Cutting Mat – I love doing the crafts on these mats. They preserve the table surface and allow you to focus on the craft.
- STEP 1: Open up and flatten out your empty box to expose the beautiful brown inside. Use the compass to draw two main circles. My circles are 3 inches (7.5 cm) across but you can make yours as big or small as you like. Using a ruler and pencil, create a wagon wheel pattern through the centre on the first cardboard circle. Draw another circle 1/4 inch (6 mm) from the edge of the main circle. Also draw out a small circle in the center of the main circle. Trace the main circle and the centre circle with your colorful marker.
- STEP 2: Use the ruler and Exacto knife to cut out slits along the spokes of your wagon wheel. Note: Adults will have to perform this step for their children.
- STEP 3: Now cut out both circles from the flattened box.
- STEP 4: Get out your yarn needle and several colors of yarn or string. Cut off a piece of yarn. It doesn’t have to be very long. A few feet (60 cm) will be more than enough. Thread your yarn needle.
- STEP 5: Leaving a tail in the back of your circle, begin to weave your first color in and out, in and out. Go around as many times as you wish with this first color.
- STEP 6: When you've gone around as many times as you like, secure the start and end of the yarn with a knot in back.
- STEP 7: Add in your next color by securing it with a knot to one of the ends of the previous color.
- STEP 8: Continuing with this new color, weave in and out as before, this time going over and under the opposite spokes as you would if you were weaving a basket. Repeat steps 6 and 7 until you've filled your circle.
- STEP 9: Flip the circle around and tie off all the ends to each other so that they don’t flop over the edge. Cut off any ends that are too long.
- STEP 10: Turn the woven circle around to make sure that no ends are visible.
- STEP 11: Using the other circle as a template, trace out a circle on your piece of felt. Cut out the felt circle and set aside.
- STEP 12: Take your length of ribbon and secure it through some of the back threads as shown. This ribbon will be your hanger.
- STEP 13: Glue the felt circle to the back of your pendant to produce a nicely finished back. Use small dots of glue over the entire felt circle.
- STEP 14: Optionally, you may add a little pizzazz to your pendant by dabbing on little dots of dimensional paint near the outer edge and inner circle of your pendant!
- And you are done! Wear this beauty around your own neck, decorate your bedroom wall, or hand it out as a medal to anyone you feel deserves recognition!
PIN for Your Next Gifting Occasion
Paper sun craft is one of my favorites in the collection of quick and easy crafts. It can literally can be made in minutes. More important, this sun paper craft can be a healing self-experience. When we craft, we allow ourselves to relax and reflect on the moment in life we are in.
If you like paper flowers crafts, look at what you can do to embellish your other DIY projects!