The tradition of baking cookies comes from hundreds years ago. The tribe was building its companionship and meal preparation while preparing meals together. Obviously the ingredients and tools were quite different!
What never changed though is that feeling of sharing and building memories together when we bake those amazingly aromatic and creatively decorated wonders, and when we share them as a dessert.
Take this recipe, try it in your own kitchen and make it a tradition to build and share memories while baking these life’s best Lemon Butter Cookies!
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 x 8 oz package cream cheese
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp fresly grated lemon zest from 2 lemons
- 1-1/2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp pure vanila extract
- 1/8 tsp lemon oil
- 1/8 tsp natural yellow food coloring
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 large egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted, for rolling and dusting
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- Using electric mixer, cream together cream cheese and butter until well blended.
- On low speed, gradually add flour mixture and mix until fully incorporated. Dough will be very sticky. Cover work bowl and refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 325F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Place confectioner's sugar in a small bowl and set aside.
- Take the cooled dough from the fridge and make 1-inch balls by rolling dough between palms of hands. Roll these small balls in confectioners' sugar. Place dough balls on baking sheets at least 2 inches apart.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 14 minutes. Do not overbake. The cookies will be still soft in the centers. The underside of teh cookies should be only very lightly browned.
- Cool the cookies and dust with confectioners' sugar.
We love enjoying our baking delights outside – the aroma is really magnified by fresh air.