Being a Disney fan, I’ve got some amazing opportunities this Fall season. One of the biggest and most memorable would be my Pumpkin Carving experience at the Disney Studios with the master pumpkin carver Joseph Yakovetic.
As we have been through a huge Disney Finding Dory animation release on a big screen in June, we are ready to gear up for the Holiday season with some unforgettable blu-ray DVDs and merchandise as well. Finding Dory is going to be one of the most popular holiday gift ideas ever! To celebrate its release as a blu-ray digital collection, Disney Studios invited us for a pumpkin carving experience with the master Disney artist Joseph Yakovetic.
Here are some interesting facts you would love to know about Joseph before I’ll show what we managed to carve at that amazing learning and hands-on pumpkin carving session.
“SURRENDER DOROTHY,” Yakovetic’s first creation in THE WIZARD OF OZ series, premiered in 2008 as part of WARNER BROS.
CONSUMER PRODUCTS’ The Ruby Slipper Collection and Inspirations of Oz Fine Art Exhibition. The image is also a limited edition US Postage Stamp.
The unique beauty of the Yakovetic fine art legacy also extends to the classic film GONE WITH THE WIND. The collection includes Signature Series Limited Edition giclées signed by the film’s cast members.
Joseph Yakovetic Demonstrating
Pumpkin Carving Techniques
Carving Out Your Own Art On A Pumpkin
Calls for Some Special Skill!
Final Carved Pumpkin With FINDING DORY Image
by Joseph Yakovetic
Here are the steps and some tips for your own Pumpkin Carving Party. Do it with children who will be very eager and excited to discover some amazingly easy steps to follow to create their own masterpiece.
HOW-TOs For A Pumpkin Carving Party!
• Clear your pumpkin
• NEVER Cut the top of the pumpkin, as it will kill it! The pumpkin will dry out in no time.
• Use your chosen stensil for the image on your pumpkin – we used Finding Dory
• Keep hands off the stensil while tracing it to avoid huge black marks on the transferred image
• Using a black sharpie/marker, trace along the contour of the image on the pumpkin. If marker clogs up, use paper to clear it off.
• Wipe design on the pumpkin with moist baby wipe
• Dry the design with paper towel
• You are ready for adding some color to your designer image! Brush through the art work, don’t stress it.
• Using specialty carving instruments, carve out the areas on your designer pumpkin to add authenticity and originality.
Here’s what I’ve got by following the above steps of carving and coloring my image on the pumpkin!
FINDING DORY Original Carved Pumpkin
Here’s a Quick Slideshow of Pumpkin Carving
Grab these funky and totally creative art and worksheets for your child to dive into Halloween Spirit!
“My film paintings are like “comfort food” for the soul – I hope to capture a moment in time that forever defined the heart of the film for the viewer.” – Joseph Yakovetic