Basil Blueberry Salsa
Why Basil and Blueberries
When you combine a variety of sources of antioxidants, you get a synergistic effect from doing so.
• Basil leaves contain many health benefiting compounds with antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and anti-bacterial properties. Some essential oils residing withing this amazing herb are: Eugenol, Citronellol, Linalool, Citral, Limonene and Terpineol.
• Basil also is rich in Zeaxanthin, the carotenoid compound that boasts of preventing Macular Degeneration. In addition it helps to filter harmful UV radiation to reach the retina of your eye. Load your salads and recipes with this wonderful herb!
• Blueberries are one of the sources for the highest concentration of Vitamin C. This super vitamin is responsible for collagen formation and healthy maintenance of our capillaries and gums.
• Blueberries are packed with Fiber! Eat them to help the absorption of extra fat “floating” in the blood stream.
• Manganese that is responsible for converting protein, carbohydrates, and fats into energy is also present in blueberries. One more reason to load your diet with daily dose of these berries.
- 1 Jalapeno
- 2 cups Blueberries
- 1/2 cup Onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup loosely packed Cilantro, chopped, plus whole leaves for garnish
- 1/2 cup loosely packed Basil, chopped, plus whole leaves for garnish
- 3 T Lime Juice
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1. Grill Jalapeno until nice and charred, about 5 minutes. Place in a Ziploc bag for 5 minutes so the pepper will steam and the charred pieces will be easy to remove. Chop up pepper, throw away seeds if you want a milder salsa.
- 2. Coarsely chop in the food processor 1 1/2 cups of the blueberries. Add remaining berries for texture.
- 3. Add the jalapeno mixture to the blueberry puree
- 4. Add the rest of the ingredients.