New York during the holiday season can be hectic. Yet you can enjoy the best of the Big Apple’s theatrical gems. PUFFS played at the New World Stages is one of them! Here’s what you could expect from this hilariously unique and one of the best stage production.
Through the hustle and bustle, off Broadway, within the busy streets of Manhattan, you may be lucky enough to stumble upon a little bit of magic and adventure that’s full of laughter and even life lessons. You don’t need a special magic wand, a flying car or to take a special train to enjoy one of the greatest additions to the world of Harry Potter fandom; Puffs, or Seven Increasingly Eventful Years at a Certain School of Magic and Magic.
On our most recent trip to New York City, we were delighted to attend and witness the hit comedy live and with a full audience in attendance. The show is currently playing at New World Stages, only a short walk from Times Square. Staff members are very friendly and helpful. Seating is limited so be sure to reserve your tickets well in advance!
According to research, there are 400,000,000 wizard enthusiasts alive today.
The play is very cleverly written and moves at a fast-pace, giving a different perspective of events that took place at a certain wizard school in which a certain boy wizard was the star and hero. This however, is not his story but is told through the eyes of several other “supporting” characters that we may or may not have heard of before. You will find yourself laughing quite a bit. There is some adult humor and content throughout the play but the hilarious puns are what will drive you to streaming tears of laughter. With little to no costumes or props, the actors still pull you into their world and you are drawn into the story quickly and effectively.
Puffs will have you laughing and if you can fit yourself into this wizardry world of three unsung heroes and their friends, it may leave you believing that there’s a hero inside of us all.
Here are some amazingly fun facts that you, as a viewer, would appreciate.
• There are eleven cast members – all excruciatingly talented.
• They know EXACTLY when to hold for laughs – and EXACTLY for how long – no mean feat going at the speed they have chosen.
• Keeping the velocity set at hyper-exhilarating, they actually bond with the audience, in a shared communal experience of undiluted hilarity.
• The extreme stand-out is STEPHEN STOUT, who, as Artistic Director of The Peoples Improv Theatre, also co-produced PUFFS’ original sold-out-standing-room-only run.
• The uber-talented company also includes Langston Belton, Madeleine Bundy, Jessie Cannizzaro, Nick Carrillo, Anna Dart, A.J. Ditty, Julie Ann Earls, James Fouhey, Jake Keefe, Andy Miller, Zac Moon and Eleanor Philips.
• They play 53 certifiably off-balance characters from this universe and beyond.
• If they had been around in the 60’s; George Schlatter would have launched them on Laugh-In.
• What audiences want is to come again.
• The repeat business is astounding.
• Over 30,000 people have squeezed into the previous runs.
• The theatre at New World Stages seats 199 people
PUFFS has no intermissions – NONE! The entire show is played on one breath.
Celebrate the Genius of PUFFS!
If you are looking for an extraordinary theatrical experience in #NewYork, check out PUFFS. It Is Marching On the New World Stages #HeartThis #theater #travel #NewYorkTravel #sponsored https://t.co/h58G3klJPC pic.twitter.com/yI0idDGP9Z
— Celebrate Woman (@DiscoverSelf) December 31, 2017
Photos in galleries are by Hunter Canning
Theatrical experience is by Angel Heaven Lee