Did sitting at the desk for hours on end make your lower back ache at every move? How about that killer move you did in Pilates today? Over time your muscles begin to form “trigger points,” more commonly referred to as “knots” that can be especially painful. Your body is designed to do so much but it is important to set time apart to heal so that you can keep going longer and stronger.
Massage will also allow for better range in motion to get you up and ready for the day and the increased blood flow from a basic massage allows for better sleep, deeper breathing, and naturally glowing – healthy skin!
Here are some top 10 reasons massage can change your overall health and save your life!
1. Stress Relief – Probably the most recognized benefit of massage as well as the most immediate. Stress relief and blood flow have a significant impact on the rest of our physical, emotional, and mental health.
2. Pain Relief – Proper manipulation of tendons and ligaments can break down all the build up we accumulate from repetitive movement which in turn release pain and soothe your over worked, tired muscles.
3. Increase Circulation – Each massage session boosts your blood circulation which overall is crucial to your well being. A good “flow” improves everything from digestion to brain health and prevents even cosmetic issues like varicose and spider veins.
4. Combats Anxiety & Depression – Massage also reduces the stress hormone cortisol in the body which helps to up lift your mood.
5. Improves Concentration – Because massage relieves pain and increases blood flow, it reminds the body that it is time to relax. The extra oxygen and nutrients from the improved blood flow allows the peripheral part of your brain to improve your concentration.
6. Increased Mobility – Massage helps release any tight fascia constricting your body’s movement. Daily stretching and regular massage will allow you to go that extra mile on your morning runs.
7. Get Quality Sleep – According to a study published in the International Journal of Neuroscience in 2001, Insomnia is a lack of seratonin. Massage increases seratonin levels. Seratonin plays a big role in the production of melatonin which influences our sleep stage of our circadian rhythm.
8. Lower Blood Pressure – Neck Massage in particular is believed to significantly reduce systolic and diastolic blood pressure.
9. Anti-Aging – With the proper beauty sleep and blood flow you are getting, your skin’s elasticity increases and promotes for more youthful and bright skin.
10. Strengthen Immune System – Stress vastly affects your immune system. The more stress you accumulate, the greater the chances of getting sick. Massage also greatly improves lymph flow, particularly “lymphatic drainage massage.” This
particular massage drains out mucus from congestion.