Inspired by the amazing people at the Canadian Lentils who know what they’re talking about when it comes to beans!
My kids love Macaroni & Cheese! To make it a healthier portion with every meal, I’ve added lentils which are rich in protein and fiber, and lots of onions. You can decide for yourself how much of each to put into this dish. But we love onions in this family! And this dish calls not for any baking in the oven! Just mix all the ingredients described in the recipe together when they’re hot!
- 3 cups (750 ml) elbow macaroni
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) unsalted butter
- 1-1/2 cups (375 ml) cooked split red lentils
- 1-1/2 cups (375 ml) evaporated or regular milk
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) minced shallots
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) white wine
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) cayenne pepper
- 1 egg, whisked
- 2 cups (500 ml) grated aged cheddar
- 3/4 cup (190 ml) grated Asiago cheese
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) chopped chives
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- COOK pasta in a large pot of boiling, salted water and drain.
- RETURN to pot an melt in 1 Tbsp (15 ml) butter. Toss to coat.
- PUREE the milk and cooked lentils together in a bowl, using a hand blender. Set aside.
- MELT remaining butter in a medium sauce pot and saute shallots and garlic until soft. Whisk in the wine, cayenne, and lentil mixture.
- REMOVE the pan from the stove and allow to cool. Whisk in the egg. Add pasta and cheese. Stir to combine. Over low heat, continue to stir 1-2 minutes or until it thickens. Season with salt and pepper.
- GARNISH with chives and serve immediately.
Macaroni and Cheese With Lentils
Scoop the macaronies into a bowl and have a feast!
This Macaroni & Cheese Does Not Require Baking!
Shopping List for Lentils
Try different lentils to appreciate their flavor profile. I’ve been cooking with lentils for many years, and each kind of lentils has its amazing qualities and benefits.
Lentils are rich vitamins, minerals, protein and fiber. If you need vitamin B, potassium, magnesium, iron, zinc, then include lentils into your diet. In addition, your skin will thank you, too!
Check out my detailed post about the vitamin B complex benefits. You’ll learn a lot.