Today’s recipe, a black bean summer salad, is extremely quick to make and blends some of my favorite flavors and textures: savory, crisp and tart. Let’s look at the nutritional profile:
- Protein: Black beans
- Calcium: Feta cheese
- Beta Carotene: Carrots
- Vitamin A and Vitamin K: Red leaf lettuce
- Fiber: black beans, lettuce, carrots, broccoli slaw
This black bean summer slaw salad can be made in a huge bowl to eat by itself, or can be the first dish of your meal. I love making it for picnics or for concerts in the park, because you can pack it in a to-go container and bring packets of olive oil and vinegar for the dressing. It literally only takes about 10 minutes to make and is so satisfying to eat.
Black Bean Salad
- 2 cups of broccoli slaw
- 1 can of organic black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 bunch of red leaf lettuce
- 2 ounces of feta cheese
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar, to taste
- 1. Rinse, then drain, the black beans.
- 2. Dice the feta cheese into small cubes.
- 3. Mix all ingredients together and toss them in the olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- 4. Serve and enjoy!