This is a salad that can easily become a major ingredient for your meal. Or you can simplify it by making it as a smaller portion to go as a powerful side kick to your major meal. Your taste buds would thank you! Beets are some of the underestimated gem root vegetables packed with powerful nutrients for your skin, bones, brain. Betaine in beets supports our liver health and helps get rid of by-products of our body’s natural functioning and any other toxins.
Beets with Salad Greens Recipe
And here are a few power points WHY this salad is worthy your attention.
Power Greens Trio – Chard, Kale and Spinach
Chard and Spinach are the powerhouse of phytonutrients that have health promotional and disease prevention properties. Chard is loaded with Vitamin C! Research shows that regular consumption of foods rich in this water-soluble vitamin help maintain normal connective tissue, prevent iron deficiency, and also help the human body develop resistance against infectious agents by boosting immunity.
And remember Vitamin K benefits, too! This vitamin is essential in bone formation and strengthening.
Beets Are the “Magic” Root
This is yet another powerhouse of vitamins and phytochemicals. Folates, Vitamin C, Vitamin A, B-complex vitamins just to mention.
And get this: being a rich source of glycine betaine, a phytochemical compound that lowers the levels of homocystein (one of the toxic metabolites that our body produces), beets are worth eating as often as you can! High levels of homocysteine in the blood result in the development of coronary heart disease (CHD), stroke and peripheral vascular diseases.
Eat your BEETS!
This Beets Salad Is Low Caloric
It gives you plenty of room for your favorite choice of protein to go with a meal.
- 4 Cups of Mixed Greens: Chard, Spinach, Kale
- 4 Medium Beets, cubed
- 1/2 Apple, cubed
- 2 Cups of Sauteed Mashrooms
- 4 Tsp Balsamic Vinegar
- Pepper to taste
- 1. Sautee mushrooms in butter or olive oil until they are soft. I usually do a big batch of them and keep them in the fridge for add-ons in salads, sandwiches, and soups.
- 2. Arrange greens on a plate
- 3. Add cubed beets and apples into the middle of the greens salad.
- 4. Add sauteed mushrooms to the mix.
- 5. Pour Balsamic vinegar in the middle of the salad.
- 1. I do not use any other spices on this salad. Balsamic adds the amplification for the tastes arranged in this simple salad.
- 2. You can have this salad with the protein of your choice: Fish, Chicken, Tofu – whatever your taste buds desire at that particular meal.