To live with a bad lower back and constantly focusing on how to most effectively to manage my lower back pain led me to some discoveries for me personally. Lower back pain relief does not come automatically and pain medication is not an option for me. What I have opted for is to do my own research, digging, talking, trying and testing out all kinds of modalities that promise to bring relief to the lower back pain.
Before I was able to produce something effective that worked for my back relief at home, I had been to every doctor and chiropractor in the area and even travelled quite many miles. Here are some nuggets from my personal experience that made a huge difference in the quality of my lifestyle.
I’ll touch upon my top 4 questions that you may ask yourself as well.
• What are the best and effective ways to relieve lower back pain?
• Can I get my lower back pain to stop hurting me?
• What are the best tips in managing lower back pain: short-term and long-term?
• Does DR. HO’S decompression belt work on lower back pain relief at home?
What Are the Best and Effective Ways to Relieve Lower Back Pain?
Having first-hand experience with lower back pain, I found that seemingly small things can make me figuratively speaking “fly or die” during the day. You see, our body has been developed with natural pain killers called endorphins. To get plenty of them circulating in our blood stream, we gotta get a regular good night’s sleep, bearable by our physical condition physical exercise, and a well-adjusted work chair.
When it comes to exercise, my best friend is a set of stretches that make my lower back pain diminish to nothing. It may seem that simple stretches won’t help, yet they made a huge difference in my life. It took many trials and attempts to find the stretches that have become crucial to my lower back health. I will need to make a separate post on the stretches that worked “magic” on my back.
There are several therapies that bring relief to lower back pain and the back overall. Personally, I’ve tried different types of massage, chiropractic care and some therapies like TENS. It takes patience and time to create a working and effective set of personal modalities that your lower back pain will give into. For me, it’s been a challenging road, but I kept moving forward to figure out what works best for my well-being the best. In Summary, take a look at the ways below to improve your lower back status.
6 Methods for Lower Back Pain Relief
- Exercise: strengthening the back muscles can help support the back and body/ a strong core reduces the strain on the lower back to support the entire upright body
- Stretching: enhanced flexibility can help reduce tension and place an equal load of weight across the body
- Massage therapy: an RMT can locate tension or “knots” in the back and mechanically relieve tight muscles that lead to pain
- Chiropractic therapy: a skilled chiropractor can use hands-on spinal manipulation and other alternative treatments to properly align the body’s musculoskeletal structure
- TENS therapy: TENS stands for Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation for immediate relief, TENS electrodes can be placed on the affected area and send massaging waves of pain relief across the nerves and muscles
- Back Traction: Traction or decompression therapy is a form of therapy that relieves pressure on the spine. It can be performed manually or mechanically. Spinal traction is used to treat herniated discs, sciatica, degenerative disc disease, pinched nerves, and many other back conditions.
Back Health is Vital to Woman’s Life
4 Effective And Easy Methods for Lower Back Pain Relief At Home & At Work. #HeartThis #backpainrelief #backpain #lowerbackpain #tips #howto #naturalremedies
— Celebrate Woman (@DiscoverSelf) June 12, 2018
Can I Get My Lower Back Pain to Stop Hurting Me?
From my personal experience, the answer is ‘yes,’ you can stop the pain in the lower back. Always consult with your physician first. I searched long and literally painfully for the release in my lower back. I made changes in my lifestyle and dove into researching what was out there for the lower back pain. After searching and constantly trying out different ways and methods for pain relief at home, I now have my own “system” that is unique to me and my body and which works for me.
Invest into A Good and Appropriate Mattress – check out my post on a mattress to find out which mattress is mostly recommended for back pain relief. I also use a small pillow under my knees to support the body’s natural curve while I sleep. If you sleep on the side, try to use a small pillow between your knees.
The Magic of Stretches – not just any stretches. I use stretching exercises every day several times during the day to relieve pressure on in the back muscles, legs and pelvic areas. I tried a gazillion stretches to bring relief to the lower back pain. Thanks to my thorough research, trial-and-error constant testing of different routines, I managed to create a unique exercise complex that keeps my pain in check and allows me to live my life pain free.
You may also try to experiment with cold and hot packs. But please consult a physician to make sure you are not bringing any hurt on yourself!
Swimming could be a huge plus in releasing muscle tension and increasing circulation which could help in back pain management. Swimming, underwater massages and home whirlpool baths could another way to bring relief and improvement in your overall well-being when it comes to back pain.
You should combine short-term and long-term management strategies to combat back pain.
Short-term solutions for back pain include:
- Apply heat to tense muscles
- Use a topical cream
- Use TENS therapy for 20 min minimum
- Stretch back muscles
The Best and Effective Tips In Managing Lower Back Pain
It is important to handle any pain short-term and relieve lower back pain fast. At the same time, finding a long-term solution or several solutions for the best pain management should be a goal. Here are some proven and easy ways to manage lower back pain at home. The key is consistency. The best motto in this case is well-known – JUST DO IT.
Long-term solutions for back pain include:
- Improve your posture/ use a back rest
- Adjust your sleeping position/ use a high-quality mattress
- Do not sit for prolonged periods of time
- Use back traction throughout the day (decompression belt)
- Stretch/exercise daily – I found that yoga for lower back relieved my pain tremendously, not just a little bit.
- Visit an RMT or chiropractor regularly – Adjusting your back and neck will alleviate a lot of pain.
How To Use DR. HO’S Decompression Belt for Lower Back Pain Relief at Home
Just recently I was introduced to yet another tool to be added to my lower back pain management. It is a DR. HO’S Decompression Belt. I gave this belt a try and now use it to stabilize my lower back when I work at my desk. There are several benefits to wearing and using DR. HO’S Decompression Beltl. What you need to know is that it provides short- and long-term relief to lower back pain management.
- Decompress lower back joints & spinal discs
- Lift & keep upper body weight off lower back
- Stabilize lower back & improve posture
- Strengthen back and core
- Stretch & relieve tight lower back muscles
This belt was developed by Dr. Michael Ho a Doctor of Chiropractic and Acupuncture. With more than 20 years in practice, he has been on the path of providing his patients with effective pain relief for their lower back. With his creative mind and perceptive nature, Dr. Ho has been a pioneer and a developer to over 20 different pain management products.
Dr. Ho is one of those who believes that the pains brought into our life from the sedentary lifestyle, poor diets and pollution could be helped by making more proactive preventative choices to add to the quality of our daily living.
DR. HO’S Decompression Belt provides a lift to the muscles to better support the spine. This type of support prevents us from slouching and works to improve posture. In fact, this small improvement helps to reduce the strain and pain on the lower back.