This awesomely affordable St. Patrick’s Leprechaun Hats craft tutorial opens endless possibilities in decorating ideas. If you haven’t noticed by now with previous crafts, we love using our recycled toilet paper and paper towel rolls however we can! This is certainly a fun and frugal idea for kids or adults to get creative and celebrate St. Patrick’s Day!
Have FUN putting your creative side to work! Glitter, buttons, beads, golden hues of any material could become your powerful tool to accessorize these Leprechaun hats.
Our crafter Angel Heaven Lee shows us how these empty rolls can be transformed with just a few supplies you likely already have on hand.
Follow the images and steps below in a visual way. Plus print this craft out with all details to take to share with your mom-friends or empower your children to share this craft in their classroom. Whatever works for you – just take a first step of making it.
Creating Your Leprechaun Hats
Add a dash of glitter to give them some magical sparkle!
Did you know that the “official” green color became a permanent mark of a Leprechaun since late 1700s when an Irish poet William Allingham wrote about a leprechaun dressed in green? Prior to be dressed in green, all Leprechauns wore red suites!
But those Leprechauns always loved the color of gold, no matter what color of clothes they wore!
These easy-to-make Leprechaun hats could be some awesome decor items for your home or your child’s project. Use either short or long toilet paper rolls to create your awesome glittery Leprechaun’s hats to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day.
- Empty Toilet Paper Rolls
- Green Paint
- Paintbrush or foam brush
- Yellow, Green and Black construction paper
- A pair of scissors or an exacto-knife
- A flat, clean work surface. I used my crafting table.
- Optional: Glitter, Stickers, other embellishments.
- Paint the toilet paper rolls green and allow them to dry completely or while wet, sprinkle the painted rolls with green glitter.
- Using your scissors, cut as many 3" circles needed for the base of the hats. I didn't have green paper so I traced a cup onto white paper and painted them green.
- Glue the hat base to one end of the dry toilet paper roll. Allow it to dry.
- Cut as many 1" X 6" strips of black paper as needed.
- Wrap and glue in place the black strip around the roll to create the band of the hat. Allow this to dry.
- Cut as many 1.25" X 1" rectangular pieces from the yellow paper as needed. It's not easy to cut a center out to create a "buckle" so you may want to use an exacto-knife or use a smaller rectangular piece of black paper to glue ontop of the yellow.
- Glue the yellow buckle piece in place and allow to dry.
- Now that you're finished with the basic design you can keep this simple or let your imagination run free!
PIN for Your St. Patricks Day Inspiration
It has been the top DIY craft project for the past couple of years. Easy to do, it could be your unique way to say “I Love You.”