With Bacon, Black-Eyed Peas and Spinach
Pasta is one of the prominent staple foods on our menu. To make it a celebration of tastes and a step-away into the world of gourmet – add a few ingredients like beans and spinach. Don’t judge by the names of the ingredients! Look at the prep to see what’s awaiting you after you make it!
Plus, beans are filled with fiber and spinach is an epicenter of calcium and phytonutrients! Simply IRRESISTIBLE!
- 1/2 lb bacon, you can use the pieces from the store-packaged variety
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 bl cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 cups drained canned or thawed frozen black-eyed peas
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Salt and Black pepper to taste
- 1.5 lbs dried orecchiette pasta
- 5 oz baby spinach
- Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, for serving
- In medium skillet, cook the bacon over moderate heat, stirring, until browned and crisp.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to paper towel to drain.
- Pour off all but 2 Tbsp of fat from the skillet and heat the olive oil in it.
- Add the garlic and crushed red pepper and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Scrape the garlic oil into a serving bowl.
- Add the tomatoes, black-eyed peas, vinegar and a generous pinch each of salt and black pepper to the bowl and toss well.
- In a large saucepan of salted boiling water, cook the orecchiette pasta until al dente. Drain well.
- Add the pasta and the spinach to the tomato mixture and toss until the spinach is just wilted.
- Season the pasta generously with salt and black pepper and toss again.
- Sprinkle the bacon on top and serve.
- Add Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese to the hot pasta.