Mango Ginger Chutney Recipe
Chutney is a great way to flavor up your main dishes like fish and meat and even desserts. It takes 2-3 spoonfuls of chutney to truly celebrate and emphasize the flavors of your food. Coming to us from the versatile cuisine of East India, a nice chutney combines sour and sweet tastes and has a special “zang” from chilis sometimes. But do not be afraid that chutneys are hot. They have a pleasant taste and go nicely as a side dish for your main course of food and drink.
Chutneys are made with many fruit, but my favorite has been mango. The first ever chutney was purchased by me at the fund raiser many years ago. Since then, I fell in love with the a slight hint of spiciness that comes form ginger and chili peppers and sweetened with the natural sugars of mangos and golden raisins.
Try this easy-to-make recipe and see how you could add more to your taste buds experience!
Chutney Can Be So Versatile!
Delicious on Appetizer Bites: Crackers, Cheese, Bree
— Celebrate Woman (@DiscoverSelf) January 4, 2016
- 3 Mangoes, diced
- 3/4 cup Light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup + 2 Tbsp Red wine vinegar
- 2 Shallots, large, minced (1 cup)
- 1/4 cup of Golden raisins
- 4 oz Fresh Ginger, peeled and minced (3/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp Apricot nectar
- 1 Tbsp Thyme leaves
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh mint
- Kosher salt
- Hot pepper to taste, Optional
- 1. In a medium saucepan, cook the brown sugar over moderate heat, stirring, until evenly melted and caramelized, 6-8 minutes.
- 2. Pour in the vinegar and stir until the caramel dissolves.
- 3. Stir in the shallots, raisins, ginger, apricot nectar, diced mangoes and thyme.
- 4. Cook over moderately high the until the shallots and mangoes are tender, about 8 minutes.
- 5. Transfer the chutney to a small bowl. Stir in the mint and season with salt.
- 6. Cool at room temperature.
- 7. Store in the fridge.
- Awesome for any veggy dish or meat, fish recipe.
- Try it with ice-cream, too, as a sauce over!
- For a small bite, add a small amount of hot red peppers!
PIN for Your Next Tastebuds Adventure!