Beet & Lentil Cake
- 2-4 (1.5 lb/650 g) large beets, roasted or boiled, peeled and quartered
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) cooked or canned green lentils, drsined and rinsed
- 2 cups (500 ml) all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) cocoa powder
- 2 tsp (10ml) baking soda
- 3/4 tsp (3 ml) sea salt
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup (250 ml) olive oil
- 1-1/3 cup (325 ml) maple syrup
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) strong coffee, cooled
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) buttermilk, shaken
- 1 cup (250 ml) dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1. Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Line 9x13 inch (22x33 cm) baking dish with parchment paper and lightly grease with olive oil.
- 2. Combine in the bowl of a food processor, peeled beets and lentils. Process until smooth, scraping down sides of the bowl once or twice. You should be left with about 2 cups (500 ml) of beet and lentil puree.
- 3. Sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- 4. Beat eggs in the bowl of a stand mixer until frothy, about 1 minute. Beat in olive oil and maple syrup until glossy, another 2 minutes.
- 5. Add the dry ingredients on low speed until incorporated. Pour in buttermilk and chopped chocolate. Gently mix.
- 6. Scrape into prepared baking dish. Bake for 35-45 minutes until wooden toothpick comes out clean. Cool on baking rack. Then cut into squares.
There will be a lot of cake to go around! I took 3 huge squares over to my neighbors to taste this amazing chocolate, beet and lentil dessert.
You can easily slice this chocolate cake up into pieces and serve it on the table accompanied by fruit and herbs. You can add a dolup of heavy cream to pour on top of this double chocolate sensation.
Or, there’s an option to freeze extra pieces of this cake and take out when you want it!
PIN For Your Precious Guests!
More of Desserts to Try in Your Kitchen!